Friday, June 27, 2008

The Weight

The event last night went well. There weren't as many people as I wanted to see out, but it was still a good showing and the security aspect of things went well, too.

I met a man there who told me he was once a Christian. We talked for a while and he said that the breaking point for him was when he loved Jesus with all that he had. He loved Christ so much that he wanted to be just like Him. His aspiration was to love people the way Christ loved people. He wanted to strive and dedicate his life to becoming as much like Christ as he possibly could.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

Well, some people told him he shouldn't try to be like Christ because he was doomed to failure. They felt it was very wrong for him to even try.

The man was so confused and disheartened by this... and it was the last straw on the pile of straws of judgments, rules and discouragements.

So, the man decided that he couldn't help but believe in God, that he believes wholeheartedly in God, but he refuses to define God by any specific religion. Of course, this leads to more judgment heaped on him.

I've found myself praying for this man over and over. My heart feels sad and heavy for him.

People can overcome much adversity and pass many tests, but so many of these people are also crushed under the weight of the judgments of others.

... sad and unnecessary I think.

2 comments:

Patti said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have been around for awhile. Life has been crazy. But God is good.

I liked the spider story. I always try to act brave when my kids are afraid of a spider, but inside, I'm a total arachnophobe (is that how it's spelled?).

The man at the event sounds like someone who has true sincerity in his faith, but just needs some encouragement along the journey.

Hugs...

(And happy belated Canada Day!)