Thursday, July 10, 2008

Not Asking For Happiness

By the end of the day workday (before I started the night job) I was feeling pretty tired and had had enough of people.  I recognized that I was feeling crusty enough that any flaws I saw in others would be magnified - by my own mind.  Not fair to others, so I thought I'd pray about it.

Funny, though... I didn't ask God to change my mood.  I didn't ask for extra energy or less fatigue.  I didn't ask for happiness.

It didn't occur to me to ask for those things.

I asked that He would allow me to see people through His eyes.

I do believe He gave me what I asked for.

Immediately, every person I saw became a real individual - not a nameless face driving a car or grumbling to themselves or whatever.  It wasn't like I could read their minds or anything... but like I could see through.

Then there was something else... something further, deeper.

And there was feeling accompanying this... I don't know how to describe it.

And what I saw wasn't necessarily good, either.

It was very powerful.  God has done this for me before.

My mood changed.  We all know that happens when we're not focussed on only ourselves.

And tonight there was a breakthrough with the Wayward Manager.  I give all the credit to God.

2 comments:

Patti said...

Yay! Breakthrough!!!

Cool prayer, btw. We should all pray that one a little more, I think.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

I think that even what to pray came from the Holy Spirit. That is cool. :)