Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mothered


I got mothered this weekend and loved it.

I went to see my friend, L, on Friday night.  The purpose of the visit was so that we could pray together for the church and our people.  First we were going to have dinner together.

We did eat together - she cooked and I helped.  And I talked my head off.  She listened a lot.  There were moments of teaching, like when she explained that I should save dirty napkins to use to wipe the grease out of pans so that I don't have to waste paper towels.  I smiled and stored that in my memory bank.  (One never knows when such tidbits will come in handy.)

We did pray together, after I talked my head off even more and she let me.  Then she went into her freezer and started pulling out stuff... some bread, butter, a ham.. and gave it to me.  This woman is not rich (financially anyway) and she was giving me things.  I stood and watched her.  

I said, "You are mothering me."

She looked up at me and smiled.  "Yes.  But you like it."

I smiled back and said, "I love it."  And that is true.  Before I left she gave me a big hug.

Today at church Pastor R's wife gave me a big squishy hug.  She's never done that before.  (Mind you, I don't let a lot of people get too near me).  Again I felt mothered (shhh... don't tell her... I'm not sure that she's old enough to be motherly to a person my age...) and I loved that hug from her.  Then she and Pastor R took me to lunch with them and I felt taken care of again.

I suppose I could have gone without these things.  After all, I've gone without for so long... but these people gave this and it was good for me and I am grateful.

3 comments:

TLC said...

I must admit that I LOVE the mothering (or parenting) that goes on in our church. I was still in my teens when I started attending CF, and have been parented by various people over the years. I think parenting goes far and beyond friendship - parenting implies a stronger bond, a teaching/learning relationship - more so than just friendship.

I also have gotten used to doing without the hugs - sometimes I appreciate them...other times they confuse me...to each their own.

Admin said...

Oh, Sheepdog, if I were living in your "neck of the woods," I would make sure you got a least a weekly hug! :o) A good squeeze can be a great reminder of God's love, as He loves us through the embrace of another.

Being mothered is definitely something we all need from time to time. Too much of it can become smothering. In the right doses, it is balm for the soul! I know this kind woman blessed you more than she knows.

Sheepdog said...

TLC: I'm going to do a post about hugs in the next couple of days.

Joni: Yes, that woman is a blessing - in lots of ways - and all she has to do is be herself.