Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wave Jumping....

.... and I need a babysitter


Had an errand to run near Simcoe Ont. today.  The only way I know to get there is to drive near the water (Lake Erie).

I love the water.

I love the beach.

Even looking at it makes me feel happy.

Okay, so I have this errand to run and it's very very hot, but at least I get to look at the lake.

Well.

I saw the lake and HAD to go down there.

When I got there I HAD to park the car and walk to the water.

Well...

I got so excited I HAD to go into the water.

It was warm and the waves were high.

In the trunk of my car I carry beach supplies for just such an occasion.  Now I know you're thinking it's really that I never clean my car and the supplies are there from the last trip to the beach... :)  I ran back to the car and got my little floaty thing.  I think it's called a swimming board or a flutter board, but I call it a floaty thing.

I digress.

Back into the water.  Oh yeah!

Gotta jump over each wave.

Gotta see how far out you can go and still touch bottom.

Gotta relish every sight, sound, smell and sensation.

Gotta run toward the next wave.

Woohoo!  I'm a fish!

no, wait... I'm a turtle!

no... I'm a frog!

no.... I'm not even doggie paddling here.

You see, I love the water but I can't swim.

Okay, so I'm no fish but I'm in the water at the beach!  Yaaaaaay!

I was grinning and laughing like a little kid.  

Jumping over and into waves, playing in the water.

A grown woman all by herself.

But who cares!  I'm at the BEACH, man!  Yes!

Paddle out to the next wave, and the next.

Oooh... here comes a big one ... haha!

I can't touch bottom any more, but it's okay 'cause I have my floaty thing.

Suddenly I notice it's quiet except for the waves.

I look around.

I'm waaay out there.  The people are far away.  I've gone past the boardwalk and the lighthouse.  There's a commercial fishing boat within paddling distance.

oops.

There would be big fish out here.

Would they bite me?

Naw.

Heyyyy.... I'm swimmin' with the big fish.

Okay, better go back.

Hey... wonder how long it would take to get to shore if I didn't paddle or kick?  Where would the waves take me?

I got back to shore only to turn around and do it again (only this time I didn't go so far out)

and again

and my fingers and toes went all wrinkly like prunes

and there is sand everywhere

and I got a bit of a burn (after I recently told someone I don't burn -ha!)

and I scraped my leg on the bottom of the lake  (decided to try to jump UNDER the waves for a while to see what would happen)

I bought a hotdog, which was stupidly expensive - but I did buy it.

And it was all wonderful.



.

3 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, that sounds so fun, and I'm pretty sure I've been at the same beach in my youth, and probably ate hot dogs from the same place.

It's tradition man. Ya gotta do it.

Glad you played!

Admin said...

Sounds like exactly what you needed, after the encounter with stalker dude, etc.

Just wish I had been there to kick up a little sand with you! :o)

Anonymous said...

patti;

That is the same beach you've visited in your youth. I know it is.

joni;

Yeah, I did need that, as much as I was telling myself I didn't, really I did.

And I felt soooo good after!

The positive effects of that have also carried through to today.