Friday, April 25, 2008

Free Food, Politics and Rambling

Two nights in a row I've received free meals from the restaurant. I didn't know that becoming manager came with the perk of a 100% discount off of my meal. Wow! I've decided to stay away from the pop and fries, but there's lots of stuff there that is actually healthy (or at least not heart attack and diabetes on a plate). This means I am guaranteed at least one good meal a day as long as I work there.

Quite frustrated tonight... Since I started the night job I've noticed that their security is terrible. They don't even follow their own rules re security. I remarked about this on several occasions.

Then I put it in writing and gave it to the boss. I wrote what I noticed, what the policy is, the fact that the policy is good, and that it's not being followed. I expressed my concern and was specific. Then I asked if perhaps there was some great reason why these things weren't happening as they should and I just didn't know about the great reason.

The boss came to me, told me I was right, said that these things should not be happening and that she would deal with them.

They continue to happen.

I refuse to break the rules about security and the staff get really upset with me because sometimes it's inconvenient. I explained to them why I'm following the rules. A lot of them understand it. One manager remarked that she'd actually never really thought about it before. (Some of these infractions are VERY serious). Some of the staff do the same thing that drives me crazy at the day job, which is that they take the attitude of "It will never happen here".

Tonight I was trying to enforce a very important security rule and the staff decided they didn't have to listen to me because the Wayward Manager was present and she always lets them ignore the rule. I looked to the Wayward Manager for support and received none - in front of everyone.

I actually don't give a crap what they think of me; I do care that they follow those protocols so that serious harm does not befall them.

*sigh*

I have court tomorrow again. Awful case (you can read about it tomorrow on the work blog). Someone had the gall to tell me that if a prostitute gets raped that it's pretty much her own fault and that she deserves it. I was so angry that I couldn't even speak. Imagine that - me not talking! It's not that I had nothing to say; I had plenty to say. I just knew there was no point. I will however address the issue - and publicly. Someone else made a comment on the other blog (I haven't published that comment yet) that is also victim blaming garbage. It's just a matter of when I have time (and the energy to put together a coherent train of thought) to address it.

Been following the news re the FLDS compound in Texas. Prayers for those children and those who have been brainwashed (I use the term "brainwashed" very loosely).

Been finding that too much coffee bothers my stomach. I don't understand this. I use to be able to drink gallons of it, but cannot anymore. Three cups a day and I switch to decaffeinated tea. Probably better for me anyway.

Haven't had a chance to be outside. I miss outside.

Love my dogs. Every minute with them is a gift. :)

Had salad (free!) two days in a row. Have started taking multivitamins. Do they really do any good?

Better go to bed. 5:30 am comes awfully fast.

1 comment:

Admin said...

Yes, a good multivitamin will help a lot. Just make sure to drink it with plenty of water.

I love your gumption!