Thursday, May 1, 2008

Even For Me?

Tonight I had a cheeseburger loaded with vegetables (okay... and a few slices of bacon... mmmmm), a salad and an iced tea. Really I should have milk, but something about drinking milk with eating beef makes my stomach upset. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

Psycho guy had a bit of a blow up. He has mini blow-ups all of the time, but this one was a little worse. This time he started yelling and swearing at a manager.

The Wayward Manager gave me a rough time tonight. I just shrugged it off, though. Really it's about her, not about me, so there's no point in getting upset and playing into her drama.

There is going to be an investigation. Apparently the Wayward Manager lost a significant amount of money. This is an example of why she should have been following procedure. It's a big deal.

There was a discussion tonight about security. I made it quite clear to the staff that I would not be budging off of protocol when it comes to security and, that no matter who argued with me or how much they hated me, I wasn't going to allow their safety to be compromised on my watch.

I expected the usual grumbling and excuse-making, but that didn't happen. Most of them just got quiet. A couple of them came to me and confided that they did not feel safe and were glad that I was interested in looking after their safety.

Someone commented that I could lose my job as manager if one of the staff got hurt. I told them that losing my job would be the last thing on my mind and that I would feel horrible if anything happened to any one of them.

One young fellow came to me and said, "For real you would feel bad?"

me: "Yes! Absolutely!"

him: "Even if it was me... even for me?"

Suddenly this young man who towered over me was a small and vulnerable little boy.

I looked straight into his eyes and said, "Yes, if it was you. Yes, for you."

I wanted to pick him up and hug him. Of course, I didn't because that would be inappropriate, not to mention totally creep him out. Besides, I don't think I could've lifted him anyway.

Funny... In my mind, heart and soul, that I would feel for someone who suffered (especially someone for whom I was responsible), is a given, obvious. For this young man it wasn't a given that I'd feel for him specifically. A lot of us do that with Jesus.

Even for me, Lord?

Yes, for you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool.

Admin said...

What an incredible picture of Christ's sacrificial love for each of us.

Even for me...?