Monday, December 3, 2007

Some Quotes

I haven't had enough spare time to do much personal reading, so am no further ahead with Nietzsche.

One of the things that struck me, though, is that his explanation of the roles and workings of the Self, the Ego, the road to the Superman can easily be seen as analogous to the relationships between God, Man, Christ, and the road to God. Nietzsche's religious training comes through over and over again.

I find it fascinating to read a book and try to get into the head of the author to see things not only the way he sees them, but also from where he starts to see anything at all.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some quotes from this book that I like:

"Great star! What would your happiness be if you had not those for whom you shine!"

"One must be a sea to receive a polluted river and not be defiled."

"I need companions, living ones, not dead companions and corpses which I carry with me wherever I wish."

and I really like this one a lot:

"You say 'I' and you are proud of this word. But greater than this - although you will not believe in it - is your body and its great intelligence, which does not say 'I' but performs 'I'."



What conversations could be had around any one of these!

No comments: