Saturday, January 26, 2008

Being "Weird"

Apparently I'm the only one at the night job who brings lunch from home rather than buying it. Someone asked me if I disliked the restaurant's food. Some of my co-workers look at me funny because I've brought my lunch. It's like I'm from another planet or something. I could probably get them to stop doing that by explaining to them the benefits of bringing one's own lunch; I might even be able to convince them that it's a better idea than buying it. But that would mean reduced sales for the restaurant, so I just keep my mouth shut and pretend I don't notice the funny looks.

I iron my work uniform and clean my shoes. I guess that's really weird, too. One of the managers made a positive comment about it to someone else. (I overheard it) But my co-workers heard this too, so I've also overheard some snarky remarks about it.

For the first few hours of my shift last night I was working my butt off while a number of the teenagers there were just standing around watching.

It got better toward the end. I was still working hard, but the older women had come on shift to replace the kids and these women all work very hard. When everyone is doing the best they can, then working really hard feels like being part of a team rather than a sacrifice.

I was scheduled to work only until midnight. Midnight came and went and the manager still hadn't said anything to me about going home. At 12:25 I asked if I could go. She said I could and then loudly announced to everyone "She wants to go home!". It was as if I was abandoning them or something. I asked her if she was short-handed and told her if she needed me to stay that I would. She said no, it was fine, I could go.

They asked me if I could work a double shift for today. I have an appointment with my accountant today, so I cannot do a double at the restaurant. I told them that.

When I was leaving last night, one of my co-workers said "Where are YOU going?!" (She already knew, though.)

I told her, "Home. I was only scheduled until 12"

She said, "Why? It's not like you have to work your day job tomorrow."

me: "Actually, I do." (I'd also told her that earlier)

So I'm thinking... If I have to put in 16-20 hours of work in a day, it's okay, but if I only have to put in 8-10 hours, then it's some sort of a break?

(I actually only have to work the day job for a few hours today, not a whole 8 or 10 - but the people at the night job don't know that.)

I think they didn't want to be there either, so wanted everyone to have to stay.

Oh - food costs yesterday - $0.00! I had stew!

But I had to pay the guys for the bathroom - $3,000.00 - on credit, which means I'll be paying a lot more because of interest. That sucks.

Well, I'd better get off the computer. I have things to do at home, an appointment to get to, and have to wash and iron my uniform for tonight's shift. I'm not going to work dirty and wrinkly because other people dislike a pressed and clean uniform. I know that I'm going to pay a price - It seems so petty to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Being "weird" is better than being "normal".

:)

Anonymous said...

haha! You would say that! hee hee