Friday, January 25, 2008

Yummy!

Someone did something soooo cool for me.

She emailed me to tell me she could make me a pot of stew, package it up and either deliver it to me or have me pick it up. She also lent me an insulated lunch bag and a thermos. Not too many people these days do that kind of thing. Not many would even think of it.

Not only did the stew taste really good, it felt good. Have you ever had food that, when you take a bite, your body says "ahhh... thank you"? That's what it was like to eat this stew.

I had a Tim Horton's coffee, too - for free. My sister gave me one of those gift cards for helping her with the kids. It wasn't necessary, but very nice of her. She did that back in December and I've been careful with it so I still have 4 more coffees left on it.

So my food costs were low yesterday - $0.76 for the yogurt; the stew and the coffee were free.

I didn't have to work at the night job last night, so was able to get some housework done. That was good. I have to work the whole weekend, though. I'm trying not to think about it because I'm tired and thinking about what's ahead will only make me feel more tired.

***

I was thinking about this sense of entitlement thing that so many people seem to have so much of. I was thinking that if I had that same sense of entitlement I might not have enjoyed that stew so much; I might not have recognized what a big deal it is for someone to do that for me; It might not have warmed my heart as much as it did.

I know I'm "entitled" to have basic things such as food, but that does not mean that other people are responsible to give that to me. It does mean that others don't have the right to take it away from me, but that's different.

Having a sense of entitlement is good because you go after what you need and do it without guilt. But placing expectations on other people to fulfill those needs is a separate issue and results in negative things like arguments, disappointment and a lack of appreciation for and enjoyment of the gifts that are given.

No comments: