Thursday, January 31, 2008

Double Life?

So I met with that guy. It didn't take long for the sexual comments to come out. I knew that (remember he likes the psychological power - and when a guy can't get that over a woman another way, he resorts to the sexual or at least gender-role crap). The only thing I would write here is that he said something about how it would be good if I went to a meeting wearing thigh-high leather boots and carried a whip. Frankly I don't care to recall the other remarks.

Through that meeting, I met a man who founded and runs a big real estate company (who is nothing like the first guy). I talked to lots of people and handed out a lot of business cards and smiled a lot.

I went to the next place and met a whole lot of strangers and handed out my card at every opportunity. When people hear about what I do, they tell me all their horror stories. I don't mind that.... but then the same ones turn around and tell me that they have no need for services such as mine because their situation is over and life is better now. (They forget or deny how quickly things can go awry).

I met a man who was president of a highly successful financial company. That was refreshing. I find that I can really let my hair down when I'm in the company of the big kahunas. It's the little guys and the middle or middle-to-senior managers who are always trying to "get one up" or find a weakness to exploit. The big guys don't need to play games, so I don't need to defend against the game. Anyway, the guy said he was going to keep my card because he thinks that my services might come in handy someday and there's always a need somewhere for what I do. (Thank you, God! Somebody "got it" today!)

That tenant still is not gone but there's a big pile of garbage on my back porch. The back porch that I just finished cleaning out yesterday. Nice.

I don't know yet what I learned today. I haven't had time to process the day yet. Although at one point, while I was all dressed up and talking to the big kahuna guy (which is within my familiar and comfort zone), it struck me that I kind of live a double life. Talking to big kahunas or doing work requiring a lot of expertise by day, and making burgers and scrubbing floors by night.

Tonight I'm not at the restaurant. Tonight I have to compose a behavioural interview for someone. Coming up with the proper questions and wording is easy; Explaining it all in writing to the guy will be the bulk of the work.

It's only 7PM and I'm already really tired. Maybe I'll feel better if I eat something. The same awesome woman who made that stew for me made another dish for me. She called it "the barley thing", so that's what I call it in my head. I think I'll go have some of that The Barley Thing and think about this behavioural interview structure that I'm putting together.

Hey... Thanks for reading this and praying along with me. I appreciate it. :)

2 comments:

Admin said...

I had a lot of thoughts about the first guy...but I'll leave them unsaid. Sounds like you handled the situation as best as possible. Ugh.

Praying that the "seeds" (business cards can be seeds, right?) you were sowing will bring forth much fruit for your business.

As for the double life? I think we all have one, really. The person we have to be in public, and the person we need to be in private.

Hugs and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Yeah. The guy eventually figured out that his remarks weren't getting the response that he wanted and he stopped. He won't be calling me, which is just peachy with me because he's not the kind of person I want calling me anyway. I knew he would pull something, but I needed to go there in order to get in the front door, so to speak, with other people.

The guy who owns the brokerage did call me, just to say it was a pleasure to talk to me and that he was very interested in what I do. I actually don't expect anything to come of that, either, but one never knows, so I will make the effort to meet with him and talk to him if that's what he wants.

I never thought of the cards as seeds. But I think you are right. hmmm... different, and I think useful, way of looking at it.

Thanks, Joni. :)