Sunday, January 20, 2008

Is It Worth It?

I've taken a second job.  I run a small business by day and now I'm working at a fast food place at night.  I'm exhausted all of the time and my body aches.  Sometimes I don't get home until 3am and I have to get up at 5am for my day job.  It's very hard.  Sometimes I want to cry just because I'm so darned tired.

Every night before my shift, I stand in the bathroom at work and ask God to help me get through, to keep my physical body functioning so I can do the job, to help me to be a good employee and a good co-worker.    Some of these people will be stuck working for minimum wage for the rest of their lives.  I won't.

Also, at the beginning of each shift I thank God for the job.  

Some people think that minimum wage isn't worth the exhaustion, the aches and pains, the sacrifice of free time, etc.  No, it's not.  But the slight chance of keeping my home, the roof over my head, IS worth the exhaustion, aches and pains and the absence of free time.  Minimum wage is not enough to pay the bills - It's not even close to enough.  But zero wage certainly is not enough.

What I need is to make enough money at the day job so that I don't have to do this anymore.  I need help with that but cannot find it - yet.

Anyway, is it worth it?  The answer would have to be yes because the consequences of the alternative choice are not ones that I can cope with.

No comments: