Friday, March 7, 2008

Cash Drawer

Well, I managed to get through the whole night without being snippy with anyone. whew!

At one point I did speak in a firm tone (but was still polite enough) to that manager who wants the rides home (and she didn't even try that again tonight).

Something's not right with the cash drawer. Maybe it's nothing, but I know better than to ignore this, so am watching.... Let me explain:

Before a staff takes over a cash register, the staff and the manager count what's in the drawer - together.

Then the staff signs off to say that the amount recorded and the actual amount of cash in the drawer match.

Then at the end of the shift, the manager and staff once again count the money together.

Overages or shortages are calculated,
voids are recorded,
and the staff signs off again to say that the counts are all accurate.

If a cashier is short more than $6, disciplinary action will be taken.

If a cashier has too many voids (it's a percentage, so that could mean as little as one void), then she or he is in trouble. (This means if a customer changes his mind about an order, if the change is significant enough, the cashier can get in trouble - sucks, but that's the way it is).

So that's the way it's supposed to go.

The first night on cash with this particular manager (the one who wants the rides), she told me I HAD to sign the ledger even though I hadn't seen the count. I was very uncomfortable about initialing anything I hadn't verified myself. I said as much and she was not happy about that.

The second night on cash with this manager, my drawer was $8 short at the beginning, before I even touched it.

Another manager caught this and told me not to trust the manager's count and to refuse to sign if it's not right. I would have been in trouble because of the first manager if the second one hadn't been wise to what was happening. I told the second manager about being ordered to sign off on another night when I was uncomfortable. She nodded and told me not to trust.

Another night when I was on cash, the same manager (the ride home one) told me she'd counted my cash and wanted me to sign off. I told her that I wanted to follow procedure and count it together.

She said, "Don't you trust me?" (That's a trick used by criminals, so the alarm bells went off in my head even louder.)

I said, "I need to learn to do things properly, so maybe you could help me learn by doing the count together with me."

We counted it - twice. The cash was $48 short!

But you know what she did?! She stated a number that was different from what we'd just counted! As if I wouldn't notice?

I said, "No." and said the correct number.

She said, "Yes, the guy before you is $8 short." (That wasn't right, either.)

I said nothing. I signed off on the correct amount that was in the drawer.

Later she came over and used my register and made a huge void. That's her void under my name.

At the end of the night, she didn't ask me to sign off on what was in the drawer. She should have got a number of signatures from me, but did not. I've been waiting for a more senior manager to say something to me or ask me about it, but have heard nothing. I don't know what happened with that cash total or that paperwork for that night.

Tonight, the same manager put me on cash, but didn't even count the cash in the drawer and didn't ask me to sign anything. Then partway through the night she tried to make a void on my cash register. I told her no, to go use another register. (This is what I mean when I said I got firm tonight.) She tried again. Again I said, "No." She was really ticked off and started mocking me. I said I wasn't trying to be rude, but still she couldn't do that on my register.

At the end of the night I didn't see her do a count and again I was not asked to sign anything.

I wondered if she's forging my signature? Coming up with an excuse as to why the paperwork isn't signed? What's going on here?

The signs are there that things are not right. I think I need to mention the situation to a more senior manager. This situation needs to be at least watched if not looked into further.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well, I'd definitely check on the possible forging of my signature.

brutal.