Saturday, March 8, 2008

Friday/Saturday

I tried something different. I figured that since I end up falling asleep at my desk so often and am not being very productive due to extreme fatigue, that I might as well stay up after I work the night job and start work on the day job straight away.

The first couple of hours were okay. By 9:30 am I was pretty much a basket case. I still managed to get in seven hours of work. The problem is that if I stay up, by the time I can make phone calls or visits or run errands, I'm useless. So that's not going to work.

I did, however get 3 hours sleep in a row. That seemed to make a difference tonight.

I'll get this figured out... I hope.

I spoke to management about the cash drawer issue. The manager I spoke with pulled up last night's paperwork. Surprise surprise, my initials had been forged.

The manager tonight seemed to want to make excuses for the other manager and doesn't seem keen on telling anyone more senior. I see this sort of thing in the day job all of the time - where front line staff actually have the guts to speak up but middle management is too uncomfortable to take it any further. If the bosses don't know about things they cannot deal with them.

I will wait to see what, if anything, happens and then follow up. At this point the senior managers don't realize that it's not my signature on those documents.

Crazy - You know, I've found the business world to be just as awful and mean as the criminal world, and sometimes more so. It's not a big surprise, but it is disappointing. I've fired people for much less than this.

3 comments:

Admin said...

When I was working in a major retail chain, I was put into a job where I earned an hourly wage plus commission. When I was being trained, my trainer got the commission. Once they switched it over, I started noticing little things that were wrong. Finally, I brought it to my assistant manager's attention. When she checked into it, she realized people were doing some very underhanded things to me. At first, I felt like a little kid tattling on others. Especially when one of their top sellers was caught trying to "steal" customers. But then I realized that by letting someone get by with something, I was an accessory, in a sense.

All that to say...stick to your guns!

Admin said...

I just remembered the bibical admonition: wise as serpents, harmless as doves...

There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

"But then I realized that by letting someone get by with something, I was an accessory, in a sense."

What an excellent point.

People are so worried about being "a rat" or a "tattle-tale" that they forget their responsibility. Unfortunately there's enough of a "don't tell" culture that those who do end up penalized one way or another.

I'm forever trying to console witnesses who are feeling guilty about telling the truth. They feel as though THEY are getting the accused in trouble or causing him/her to go to jail. I tell them that such consequences are a result of the offender's behaviour. How do you fault someone for telling the truth?

wise as serpents, harmless as doves...

Yup. Watch, listen, think... don't seek to harm or do evil. Being loving doesn't mean we have to be stupid.

That reminds me of a line I heard once: "Christian doesn't mean 'doormat'." I struggle with that one, I have to admit. I let people get away with way too much sometimes.