Monday, March 17, 2008

A Regular Peyton Place

I'm sitting here in the wee hours of the morning feeling upset over what has just happened here.

The psychopath guy did get back in - his brother brought him in.

I spoke to the male tenant and tried to explain as nicely as I could that I had already kicked the guy out earlier and that he just can't stay here. I told him that I understood that he was in a hard position but that his brother was making choices and, if he wanted the tenant could blame me when he talked to his brother.

He said his brother really didn't have any other place to go. I told him that wasn't true and explained to him what Mission Services had to offer and that they had in fact offered the guy a bed and some additional assistance on top of that. I told him that his brother was fully aware of this but simply not using it. I also told him that his brother's problems could not be made into my problems.

I can't tell you how hard that was for me to say that.

The tenant said, "Well, he's staying here tonight."

I said, "No, he's not"

Tenant, "Yes, he is."

me, "No. If I have to, I'll call the police and you can both leave."

Tenant, "Fine, we'll both leave and I'm giving my notice."

me, "You don't have to give two months. You can be out by April 1st"

him, "Alright"

So it looks like I'm getting my house back. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay for it.

And I feel sick to my stomach - as much due to this situation as any illness.

I can't let this guy put his foot down with me about allowing someone into my home whom I feel is a threat to me and my furbabies. But I still feel bad for him all the same.

Not even sure what to think or feel right now.

And to think I was entertaining thoughts of letting their mother move in here.

And, oh... I have to work with these two at the night job and the one is having an affair with one of the managers whose common-law husband has made threats against her and him, all of which will make the night job situation weird, too.

How in the heck did I get into all this with everybody else's drama?

Really, I thought I'd be flipping burgers at night - I mean how complicated should that be?

2 comments:

Patti said...

"Good grief" a la Charlie Brown.

Stand your ground! When you're surrounded by unreasonable people, you can start wondering if you're the unreasonable one.

You're not.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! Thank you for saying that!

I was wondering if perhaps I was the unreasonable one. I was wondering if I was just being a mean or cold person.

These are just the kinds of situations in which I think I must be a "bad Christian" for not letting people have what they want.

I was thinking last night that maybe sometimes "the accuser" is not Satan but our own ego - in the sense that if we are attached to an identity (e.g. "good Christian") we can accuse ourselves of falling short of that notion and cause our own confusion. (Not sure if I'm saying this in a way that makes sense...)

That kind of self-doubt really sets one up for problems. It's helpful when other people recognize the dynamics and point it out so that I can check my own thinking.

I've been feeling down about this all day. Your comment has been very helpful. Thank you.