Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring Coming?

It turns out that the male tenant and his brother slept in the foyer of a bank.

Apparently this is all my fault.

The brother knew that Mission Services wouldn't take him after midnight. Yet when I kicked him out of here at 11pm, he chose to go see his brother at work and tell him how awful I am rather than going to where he was assured of a place to stay for the night.

If his goal was truly to find a place to stay, he would have gone to Mission Services. But that wasn't his goal (in my opinion). His goal was to stay at MY house - to get his way. So when he came back here at 3am, it was too late for him to go to Mission Services.

This is all my fault.

The male tenant is thinking of quitting his job, leaving the woman he's having the affair with, and moving out of the city.

How does that help his brother?

So work will lose another employee, that manager will lose her boyfriend (who is providing her with some much needed emotional stuff), and this guy will be starting over somewhere else.

And it's all my fault.

The story is that I'm a cold-hearted b____h who would let a poor guy suffer and maybe die out in the cold and throw his brother out with him.

My recollection is that I threw the brother out after telling him on repeated occasions that my home was not an option for him and providing him with the phone numbers for other supports. I even checked those options myself to make sure that there really was help available for him.

My recollection is that I offered the tenant a choice. His brother goes or they both go. Not the choice he wanted; I'll concede that fact, but a choice nonetheless. He made a choice.

But somehow the results of the choices that these people have made are all my fault.

Everyone at the night job knows how horrible I am. That will only fuel the fires and provide more ammunition for the Wayward Manager who continues to ignore procedure when dealing with the cash. I'm going to tell the boss again - but am concerned that now that it's the second time I've told, it will just look like I'm complaining.

Still... in spite of everything... for a moment yesterday I felt like I had taken a step out of a dark place. I don't know why. I don't know what, if anything I did that was the actual step out of the dark place.

Could it be simply that spring is coming and the days are getting longer and there's more sunshine?

Could it be that spring is coming in a different sense, a spiritual sense?

I don't know.

That sense of stepping out of a shadow was strong and profound, but only lasted a moment.

Wonder what that was about....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

IMHO, I don't think you owe explanations to anyone. They won't be convinced, and reason is irrelevant. Either way, you're perceived as the bad guy, so I wouldn't waste the energy on conversations that try to explain why you AREN'T the bad guy.

Glad for your moment yesterday....

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I think you are right. They will believe what they want to believe no matter what I say. It's all more fuel for the gossip game and other games. Thing is, though, I'm not much for those games.

As for my moment yesterday, it keeps coming back - not as strong, but it's there.

The male tenant called me a .... ugh... I can't even say it! The "C" word... you know, the really horrible one that most women hate.

I won't be bothering with making further efforts in reasoning with these people. There are limits, after all.

Nellie McClung said, "Never retreat, never explain, never apologize. Get the thing done and let them howl."