Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Day Off

I'd been worried that something would happen to take away my first and only day off in more than a month, but the day off did come, so I'm grateful.

This morning I even slept in!

When I got up, I found that the dogs had pooped and peed everywhere - including on the couch. They had also got into the garbage and there was garbage everywhere. Of course they couldn't confine the garbage to just one room. Oh noooo... It's much more fun to drag it around from room to room and play with it all! They must have had a blast, and mommy here slept through it all.

Once I figured out that they hadn't eaten anything poisonous, I was mad at them (for about three minutes - which is a long time to be mad at these two).

It took a good hour to clean it all up.

I went and bought the paper, sat in front of the tv with coffee and a crossword puzzle. Very nice :)

I got some laundry done and got a bit of cleaning done in my room and the bathroom - nothing heavy duty, though, which is fine, since it is a day off after all.

Ate a cheese and tomato sandwich - yummy!

Purposely stayed away from my office and emails.

While I was downstairs doing laundry a tenant (the one who was mad 'cause she couldn't shower when she wanted) asked me if she could borrow my carpet cleaner. (I'd offered to clean her carpet a month ago and she'd declined because it wasn't vacuumed. The only vacuum available was the one of mine that she broke last summer)

Anyway, when she asked to borrow the carpet cleaner, I said "no". She looked utterly stunned.

She asked why.

(Do I need a reason? Why do I feel compelled to even answer?)

I told her it was because she'd already broken my vacuum and I wasn't going to then lend her a very expensive machine that I don't even have paid off yet.

She was furious. She stormed off and now is not speaking to me.

Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong here?

Perhaps she thought she was doing me a favour by cleaning the carpet in her room. But does that mean that I don't have the right to say no to lend her a machine that isn't even paid for yet when she broke and didn't replace another expensive appliance previously?

I'm having trouble believing I did something so terrible as to justify that kind of anger from her.

... trying not to think about how I'm going to pay the bills and fix that one empty room without any rental income....

I still have this evening off.

I didn't do much today. How come I'm still tired?

Well, in any event, I'm still very glad to have this day and this break!

Don't know what I'm going to do tonight - maybe nothing! hee hee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, for relaxing. And good for you, for telling her "no". Some people just have that whole sense of "entitlement," that everyone owes them something. (You posted about this before.) They think the world revolves around them and their moods. Oh, well! Welcome to reality, deary! (That wasn't nice of me, was it?)

Happy day off!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joni. :)

I'm snuggling with my dogs - yay!!!

And now I'm going to let myself go to sleep so I can get enough sleep AND be able to go to church in the morning. It's so cool to not have to choose!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you finally had one whole day off. (Even though the doggies didn't exactly behave the way they should have). I also say Congratulations for saying "NO" to the tenant. You can't allow people to take advantage of you. I hope you had a resful night and am recharged to go through the day today.