Tuesday, February 5, 2008

God Bless Bobby

Bobby (not his real name) is a man who goes to my church. He's one of those people in society who is often treated as invisible. Bobby is and always has been quite visible to me, though. Years ago I was invisible, too, so I know what it's like and make a point of trying to see - really see - those "invisible" people.

Bobby is poor, has no "social standing", uneducated and will never attain all that North American culture has to offer. Some people would say that Bobby is a burden. I say that Bobby is a blessing.

At church there are people who approach Bobby to talk to him and they do it because they genuinely want to. They truly care about him and want him to feel welcome.

Bobby lives in a lodging home (I think that's what it's called) and can be seen rummaging through garbage bins for treasures. His clothes are old and it seems like his nose is always runny. He's very thin. His words are simple and he talks about what most would call insignificant events rather than concepts. But those insignificant events are significant to him. They comprise his life.

There's something about Bobby that grabs my attention. There's a light that shines from within him. Maybe it's because his eyes are so very blue; Maybe it's the Light of Christ.

On Sunday Bobby was excited to see me and talk to me (he's really happy to talk to anyone). He eagerly told me that he had a praise report. He said that someone gave him $20 for no reason. To him, it was like heaven opened up and huge blessing rained on him.

I was walking away from Bobby after the conversation when I felt the urge to turn around and go back to him. I did.

You see, Bobby had just blessed me. Here I am complaining about working so hard when others can't even get a job, when others don't have the physical and/or mental ability to work, and Bobby rummages through garbage, is treated as invisible, and is tremendously grateful for twenty bucks.

I told Bobby that he had just blessed me. I needed to tell him that. You should have seen the look on his face!

He said, "Really?!"

I said, "Yes"

He said "I blessed you? Really?"

I said, "Yes, really."

You'd have thought he'd just been given the greatest news of his life.

When I look at Bobby, I don't see the poor simple guy rummaging through garbage. I see a beautiful and much loved child of God.

God, thank you for Bobby. God bless Bobby.

1 comment:

Admin said...

Bobby sounds like such a beautiful child of God. Maybe one of those people who is an angel in disguise?

Thank you for telling about him. It blessed my day!